The Stylist Magazine interviewed one of our Tea Blenders, Tom Francis. Within this interview Tom explained that Earl Grey Tea is just the perfect match to Lemon Meringue Pie. The bergamot in Earl Grey subtlety compliments the sweet and tangy Lemon Meringue Pie, this results in creating a heavenly taste in your mouth.
"Earl Grey is characterised by the citrus fruit bergamot," explains Tom Francis, buyer for Twinings, "which means it's delicious paired with citrus flavours such as lemon meringue and lemon and poppyseed muffins." Stylist loves: Earl Grey
And here's how to make your own yummy Lemon Meringue Pie...
||Lemons, juiced and zested
||Egg Yolks Beaten
||Short crust Pastry Case (already baked)
- Heat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- To make the lemon filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 200g caster sugar, flour, corn flour and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon rind. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to the boil.
- Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 100ml of the hot sugar mixture. Then, whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to the boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remo
- ve from heat. Pour filling into pastry case.
- To make the meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. I Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Now pour yourself a lovely cup of Earl Grey and tuck into that beautiful Lemon Meringue Pie.