Our delicious Apple Turnovers use our award winning Apple & Elderflower Green Tea and are a great way to use the bounty of windfall apples from the garden.
||Cold butter, Cubed
||Egg Yolks, Cold
||Vanilla Bean, Scraped
||Mini Tart Tins or 1 Large Tart Tin
* Or use shop bought short crust pastry.
- Using a stand mixer beat the butter, vanilla bean seeds, and sugar together until it forms a paste.
- Gradually add the egg yolks beating after each addition.
- Add the flour and salt and bring the dough together.
- Flatten and wrap in cling film before chilling for 30mins.
- Once chilled, roll the dough out to the thickness of 50p and line the tart tins.
- Trim the excess party and prick the bottom with a fork.
- Chill the tart cases while you make the filling.
- Brew the tea in the water for 3 minutes.
- Squeeze out the liquid and combine with the sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then add 1/2 of the apples.
- Cook until very soft then blend.
- Return to the pan and add the remaining apples.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Beat the egg for the egg wash and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry and cut out 20 circles.
- Brush the 1/2 of the circles with egg wash.
- Place the wooden lollipop stick in the centre of the egg washed circles and press firmly.
- Spoon a tsp of the filling on top of the sticks and press another circle of pastry on top.
- Seal the edge with a fork and place on a baking tray line with greaseproof paper. Repeat.
- Once the pie pops are done, brush with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle over the demerara sugar and chill for 10mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bake the pie pops for 10-15mins or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly on the tray before serving.