Hip hip hooray TODAY is Pancake Day and we are going to have a lot of fun with it. Whether you're kick starting the festivities with a pancake inspired brunch, inviting friends over for a mid-morning catch-up, cooking up a storm for kiddies tea or planning a pancake feast for two, we've got you covered!
Our delicious, 100% natural fruit teas are the perfect companion to complement your favourite pancake dish and they make exciting ingredients for our tea inspired toppings, too. Go fruity, go Twinings!
SUPER SIMPLE PANCAKE BATTER (serves 4)
||Plain or Wholegrain Flour
||Water (still or sparkling)
||A Pinch of Salt
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Whisk for about 1 minute or until smooth.
- In a moderately hot frying pan swirl in a knob of butter until slightly foaming.
- Place a dollops of the pancake batter in the pan and tip the pan around from side to side to evenly coat it with batter.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface then flip over and cook for another minute.
- Keep the pancakes warm wrapped in foil.
- Repeat until you use all the pancake batter.
- Now serve up your delicious pancakes on a gorgeous plate and enjoy with your favourite topping and a nice cup of tea.
- Pour batter into a jug. It's much easier to pour into the pan from a jug rather than ladling the batter from the bowl into the pan!
- The batter can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.
- For American style pancakes, check out our Blackcurrant & Blueberry pancake recipe.
- Diced strawberries, raspberries and a spoonful of runny cream.
- Lemon juice and a little sugar.
- Peanut butter, chocolate spread & banana.
- Hot cherries and honey.
- Diced mangoes and strawberries.
- Apple, cinnamon and honey.
- Lemon curd and pomegranate seeds.
- ... any other combo you can think of!
SAVOURY TOPPING COMBOS
- Roasted pumpkin, feta cheese and fresh rosemary
Peel and dice pumpkin, add to baking tray, sprinkle with olive oil and bake at 200C for 20 minutes. Dice feta cheese. Fill pancake with roasted pumpkin, feta and sprigs of rosemary.
- Pancetta and extra mature cheddar cheese
Heat a little oil in a pan, add 3 rashers of pancetta and fry until crisp. Add pancake batter to cover the surface of the pan. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 1 minute, then turn over pancake and bake for another minute.
- Courgettes, red peppers, onions and feta
Dice all ingredients. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and glaze onions. Add courgettes, red peppers, salt and and pepper and keep frying until cooked. Fill pancake with vegetable mix and feta cubes.
- Spinach, mushrooms, onions and bacon
Dice onions, bacon and slice mushrooms. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and glaze onions and bacon. Add spinach and mushrooms and keep frying until cooked. Fill pancake and enjoy.
- Avocado and bacon
Cook bacon under grill or in a frying pan. Peel and dice avocado. Fill pancake with bacon cut into little bits and avocado chunks. Season to taste with salt, pepper or a little lemon juice.
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese
- Bacon and maple syrup
Cut bacon into bite sized slices and fry in a pan. Fill pancake with bacon and sprinkle with maple syrup.
TEA INSPIRED TOPPINGS
ASSAM ALMOND BUTTER
- Place the almonds in a food processor and blend till the mixture clumps together.
- In a mug, pour hot water over the Assam teabag and steep for 3 minutes. Remove teabag and add 2 tbsp of the brew to the almonds along with the cocoa powder and salt.
- Blend everything for about 5 minutes until the mixture starts to become less chunky. You may need to add a little oil to make the mixture a bit more smooth (but not too smooth!).
- Once it has reached the right consistency, remove the nut butter from the food processor and stir in the maple syrup.
- Spread this on top of the cooked pancakes, top with sliced bananas and finish with flaked almonds.
GREEN TEA HONEY CHERRIES
- In a saucepan, add teabags and 250 ml of boiling water and steep for 2 minutes. Squeeze teabags and discard them.
- Bring the tea liquor to the boil reduce the liquid for 3 minutes.
- Add the honey and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add half the cherries and reduce the heat. Boil for another 3 minutes or until the cherries are soft.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Serve over pancakes with dollops of yogurt, granola and maybe a dusting of icing sugar.
CITRUS CHAMOMILE SYRUP
- Combine the juice of the citrus together in a sauce pan. Add the Camomile tea bag.
- Bring to the boil then remove the teabags.
- Add the sugar and cook together for 5 mins over medium heat.
- Serve with sliced grapefruit, oranges and ricotta.
HAPPY PANCAKE DAY FROM ALL OF US AT TWININGS XX